Luke 9:28-36 Study Questions
- Review chapter 9 vs 18-27. Summarize what Jesus had told the disciples.
- During what other events did Jesus request the company of Peter, John, and James specifically? (hint: Luke 8:51 & Mt. 26:36-46)
- Define the word “transfigure”. What specifics stand out to you about the transfiguration event?
- What did Moses and Elijah speak to Jesus about and how might this have been a timely encouragement to Jesus?
- Moses, Elijah, and Jesus each provided deliverance of God’s people from bondage. How did the deliverance provided by Moses and Elijah differ than the deliverance Jesus is going to provide?
- What were the disciples initially doing when the transfiguration began?
- What did Peter want to do in response to seeing Jesus’s glory and the two men with Jesus? How does this response indicate that Peter did not grasp what lay ahead for Jesus?
- How does God reaffirm Jesus’s identity and what command is given? What other biblical event did the voice of God affirm who Jesus was?
- Define the word “sanctification”. In what ways does God spiritually transfigure (sanctify) those that have accepted Jesus as savior? (hint: Romans 12:1-2, 2 Cor 3:18)
- What glimpses of the kingdom of God do I see in this passage and how does what is to come give me encouragement to persevere through whatever I am facing today?
- Where do I tend to “fall asleep” when it comes to my spiritual walk with Jesus?
- In what tangible ways can others see God’s spiritual transfiguration(sanctification) of me, and in what ways do I need God’s continued sanctification in my life? Ask God, a close friend, or your community group to pray for God’s work in these areas.