Study and reflection
- Examine the descriptions of Jesus Christ in the seven letters. What do they tell us about him? What implications are there for those churches and for us today?
- Choose two or three churches to discuss. Were these churches spiritually healthy or unhealthy? What were their qualities? What did Jesus say to strengthen, correct, or rebuke them? In what ways (if any) do we need similar instructions?What does this passage teach us about God (his attributes, ways)?
- What does this passage teach us about mankind (i.e., us)?
- What symbology is or is not clearly explained in this passage?
- What is the main point and/or purpose of this section?
- Here is one author’s summary of the overall message of the book of Revelation: “Its central message is that believers can overcome the tribulations of life, even persecution and martyrdom, because of the victory won by the Lamb of God.” (Mark Wilson, Victory Through the Lamb). How does this statement fit through these first three chapters of Revelation?
- Which church most closely resembles Stonebrook? Which church do you personally identify with the most? What should we/you do in response?
- How does this chapter strengthen us in our faith today? What reminders does it give us?