Revelation 13 Study Questions
Read Daniel 2:24-49, Daniel 7 & Revelation 13
- Many conservative scholars attribute the 4 different materials of the great statue in Nebuchadnezzar’s dream as 4 succession of kingdoms: Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome. What is the one kingdom that will endure forever? Why is it important for the people across the span of time to remember this prophetic vision given to Daniel?
- Compare and contrast the descriptions of the beasts by Daniel chapter 7 and then by John in Revelation 13.
- What two questions will people use to justify the worship of the beast? What is the foundational problem that would create such poor questions? What would be the better questions to ask when deciding if someone deserves your worship?
- Define the word “blasphemy”. What two areas did the beast focus his blasphemies on?
- The saints were commanded by Jesus to take the gospel to every nation in Mt. 28:16-20. In what ways is the great commission opposed by the beast?
- What is the book of life of the Lamb? (Previous book of life biblical references:Dan. 12:9-10, Phil. 4:3, Rev. 3:5, Rev. 17:8, Rev. 20:15, Rev. 21:27)
- Where else in the Bible is the phrase “If anyone has ears to hear; let him listen?” What does this phrase mean?
- What hard truth is held in Rev 13:10 that needs to be heard and understood by the saints? Where is the comfort found in this hard truth?
- Describe the beast from the earth. What was its mission?
- What clear violation of God’s commands do we see in Rev 13:14?
- Why should the presence of miracles and great signs NOT be the sole/most prominent reason for giving something or someone worship? (See also Mt. 24:24)
- What did the pharisees themselves ask for from Jesus in Mt. 16:1-4? Where else in the Bible do we see great signs performed that are not from God?
- Who receives the mark of the beast’s name/number of its name? What mark (aka:seal) do those who belong to Jesus hold?
- Who is to calculate the number of the beast and why do you think this instruction was included by John? How would it help his audience then? How does it help his audience now?
- How has prophetic and apocalyptic literature in the Bible impacted my walk with Jesus thus far?
- How has God’s Word equipped me to identify false prophets/teachers and eventually false Christ figures?
- Is my name written in the book of life? If I am unsure, why? If I am sure it is, from where do I get that surety?
- How has God comforted and strengthened me with his holy spirit to hold fast to Jesus in the face of societal pressure to conform to worldly standards/ideas? To what temporary things am I tempted to give my worship to outside of Jesus, and on what can I rely to keep me from being deceived?