Luke 2:22-40 Study Questions
- Read Leviticus 12. What did the purification laws of Moses require?
- How do the purification rituals foreshadow what Jesus was sent to do?
- What facts about Simeon stand out to you in verses 25-27?
- What privilege did Simeon enjoy because of his willingness to be led by the Holy Spirit?
- How does seeing Jesus allow Simeon to “depart in peace”?
- Who does Simeon say the Lord’s salvation is for and why is this important?
- Simeon prophesied Jesus would be a “sign that is opposed.” What were ways that Jesus experienced opposition in his life and what ways do people oppose him even now?
- How will Mary experience both joy and suffering as the mother of the Messiah?
- How are thoughts from the hearts of men revealed then and now? (hint: read Luke 6:45)
- What facts about Anna stand out to you in verses 36-37?
- What did Anna do in response to seeing Jesus?
- Simeon and Anna had waited a long time in anticipation of the Messiah, and now the Church waits for the return of the Messiah. What do Simeon and Anna do in their waiting and how can I apply their example to my own life? What does waiting patiently for Jesus look like practically in day to day living?
- How can I tell the difference between being led by the holy spirit and being led by my own desires?
- What tends to distract me from setting my hope fully on the grace brought by Christ? (1 Peter 1:13)