Luke 8:22-25: Jesus calms a storm.
Luke 8:26-39: Jesus heals a man with a legion of demons.
Luke 8:22-25 Study Questions
- What happened when the disciples and Jesus tried to cross the lake?
- What was the reaction of the disciples to the storm?
- How did Jesus meet their need and what question did he ask them?
- Jesus said they would cross the lake, and Jesus is always true to his word. How could faith have changed the way the disciples reacted in the midst of the storm?
- What do the disciples learn about Jesus’s authority and power in this situation and what were their reactions to seeing this miracle?
- What is the difference between believing in spite of circumstances, and obeying in spite of feelings and consequences?
- What has Jesus promised to me when I believe and follow him? (some references to start with: Luke 12:40, John 10:28-29, 1 Cor. 10:13, Phil 1:6, Heb 13:5, James 1:5)
- In what situations do I tend to slide back into unbelief? What will I ask God to do to help me combat this tendency?
- What can I trust about God’s character even when my own character falters?
Luke 8:26-39 Study Questions
- Find a bible map and locate Gerasenes. Was this Jewish or Gentile territory?
- Describe the man Jesus immediately encountered after he had stepped out onto land. How was Jesus identified in this interaction and by whom was he really identified?
- What had this possessed man’s life been like thus far?
- Jesus asked for a name. What was the name given and what did it mean?
- The demons recognized who Jesus was the son of God. How is recognizing what is true about Jesus different than having a saving faith in Jesus?
- Where did the demons beg Jesus not to send them and where did he send them instead? What does this teach us about the eventual fate of Satan and his demonic forces?
- Why was it okay for Jesus to use these pigs despite the inevitable cost to the herd’s owners?
- How did the herdsman react to what happened, and what did the people of the city witness when they came to find Jesus?
- What did the people ask Jesus to do, and what does this teach about the character of people and the character of Jesus?
- The healed man wanted to stay with Jesus, but what did Jesus instruct him to do instead?
- What can we learn from the healed man’s response to Jesus?
- Jesus and his disciples endured a treacherous boat trip to reach this demon possessed man. What has Jesus endured for me? How far did he come to rescue me?
- Like the demon possess man, how am I helpless apart from Christ?
- In what ways do I value worldly possessions over people?
- What is a personal joy-filled story of Jesus’s work in my life that I can share with others today? God, give me an opportunity and obedience to do this!